Saturday, April 24, 2010

Living Frugal

Yes, it is time for me to write this. I've been thinking of different people who influenced my life for many reasons. One special person is my Grandma Emma. I always referred to her as grandma. She was a person with many special talents and gifts. I learned so many lessons in life from her. How to trim fruit trees, freeze produce, recycle just about everything but mostly how to be frugal. She had grown up in a time without having the convenience of shopping at every store. The stores didn't exist. Doctors and dentists were far between. Even when the pandemic flu of 1918 arrived, she made it with little more than hot strong coffee with some liquor in it. As did her brother Halvard and sister Agnes. They grew up in a time where recycling wasn't fashionable, it was a necessity. She carried these ideas with her when she left Norway for the USA. A big challenge to arrive in a new country and not able to speak the language, she learned. She was brave and met the challenges of the new world. She could do almost anything she had to. She cooked, raised a lovely garden, sewed, took care of the cows and chickens, helped neighbors, but never did drive a car. Can't quite figure that out, but she worked around that. She was a quiet and kind person one could always depend on. She loved all of us reading this today. I miss her and the old fashioned way she lived her life. I would love to hear her voice again, saying Uff da....... She made my life better. I have a good life because she cared.

No comments:

Post a Comment