Friday, September 24, 2010

Grandma Emma's Days

Today I will tell more of Grandma Emma's special story. It has been seven years since her passing. Can't quite believe that, but the years have gone. I am Emma's oldest grandchild, the first of many. Twelve of us , and many more great grandchildren. She gave a piece of her life to all of us. Even one who is named after her. Grandma was a remarkable woman. A woman of history. She lived in a time when life was sometimes hard and cruel. Yet, she lived till ninety eight years of age. Her journey began in Norway, born into a family of six children. Leaving there as a young adult and immigrating to the United States. It was not an easy decision, but she and our grandfather, made a life in the new world, just as so many did before them. Learning a new language and living in a new unfamiliar place was challenging. But she made the best of life wherever she was. She cooked, cleaned, grew a garden, sewed, tended her children and even milked cows on the farm in Mukilteo. She was a survivor. Her attitude is what saved her so many times. She was my Grandmother and also my mentor. When I had a problem large or small, she usually had the answer. I'm glad that I spent time with her over the years, she made a difference in my life. I miss her and will never forget the sound of her voice and her saying " Uff Da"(smile) She was a teacher, but did not know it.... She always enjoyed the simple things that life had to offer... a beautiful sunset on her last day.....Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment