Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories

Many years ago my daughter, my Grandmother Emma and myself celebrated Thanksgiving day in the peaceful, quiet, little city by the sea. It is called Mukilteo... it is very quaint on any given day, but even more so around the winter holidays. Our usual Turkey day started out very well. Watching the Macy's Day Parade, setting the table and getting the dinner ready. First, had to put the turkey breast in the oven, then potatoes peeled, both regular and yams, cooking some special cranberry sauce that Grandma loved. Thawing out a pie, probably Mrs. Smiths, as I'm not a great pie baker! also snacks till it was prepared and ready. I had thought of everything, making it as nice as I possibly could. The aroma of the holiday filled the air... we could hardly wait...and then... disaster struck! Something was coming from the oven, a very strange scent, I checked, it was almost done so I took it out quickly on Grandma's advice... something was wrong, very wrong. I turned over the turkey breast a discovered I had cooked this lovely turkey with the plastic gravy packed tucked neatly inside, it had broken open and I had a mess, not the wonderful dinner I had so carefully planned. Oh no, I began to cry. I had ruined what was to be a lovely holiday dinner. I placed the turkey on the back porch, and wondered what to do. Just then a very good friend in Mukilteo called to wish us a "Happy T-day" and I told her what had just happened. Well, in about ten minutes she arrived at our door with a tray of turkey and all the trimmings. She had saved our dinner! Grandma and my small daughter were so happy, for now their dinner was right and complete. Perfect with turkey and all. Till this day this woman still lives in Mukilteo, she is indeed a special person with the kindest heart we know! I'm sure she is cooking and sharing her wonderful Thanksgiving dinner this year, just as she has always done. She deserves a medal! So this story is to salute her and all she does for everyone. She makes this world a better place for all that know her! Thank you our dear friend.... Nancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment